Thursday 8 July 2010

Jazjewels





Friday Finds... jazjewels


This is my 34th interview of the amazing not-so-well-known artists of Etsy!

jazjewels on Etsy is an incredibly talented jewelry artist with an amazing eye for unique detail and color. Her pieces to me feel very grounding and natural looking in their appearence as the shapes and designs have a weaved spiders-web look to them, reminding me of the beauty of nature. She uses enamel and metal to create each piece and has kindly included a Handmade Portraits video at the bottom of this interview sharing a bit more about herself. Please take the time to to visit the listings below and her store :)


(Just click the images to go direct to the listings)






-- Tell me a bit about you! (Name, Age, Location, and give us a random fact whilst you're at it.) Hi, my name is Judy Azoulai. I just turned 50! (A young 50, maybe like 20s?) I was born and raised in the beautiful land of Israel. I moved to the states in 1981. We lived in Brooklyn NY for about 10 years, then moved to Manalapan, NJ and we're still here, we love it !!


-- What is your business about then? I am a jewelry designer. I consider my jewelry pieces as small works of wearable art. My specialty is enameled jewelry.


-- How did Etsy come into your life? It all started because of fingerless gloves! On a freezing January day I was shopping at my favorite bead store. The lady who helped me was wearing these beautiful and simple black fingerless gloves. I asked her where could I get those gloves, since my hands are always freezing in the winter. She said, “On Etsy”. I had no idea what she was talking about so she went on explaining what Etsy was. I came home, checked the Etsy site, and I was hooked!


-- Are you working a day job too? Etsy is my day, evening, and in between job, I love it!
I’m an out of work (by choice) graphic designer.


-- How long has the artist in you been 'unleashed' for? Since I can I remember, I've had my hands in something. As a student of Art and Design I have had my hands in oil for painting, charcoal for drawing, wool for knitting, and clay for pottery. But most of all, the creation of modern, elegant, one of a kind jewelry is my passion.


-- What has been the inspiration behind your business? My inspiration comes from anything that is free flowing. It may be the trees blowing in the wind, ocean waves, insects on a quest for nectar, or the movement of a dancer. I don’t plan much and I’m not rigid in my design. Just like a jazz musician, I improvise as I go.


-- If you could describe your products in three words, what would you tell me? Bold, Organic, Colorful


-- What would an average working day for you be like from dawn til dusk? First thing is my morning coffee. I check jazjewels for any sales. I read and post comments on my favorite forums. I go to the gym and run some errands. I come back home and check on my garden, I love my garden. I check Etsy (my family thinks that I’m an Estyholic!!) I go upstairs to my home studio to work on the next creation. I cook diner for my family. I go on Etsy again!!


-- What's your favourite material and techniques to work with? I love to enamel but I’m always exploring other avenues. I like the excitement of the new, something I’ve never done before. Currently I’m exploring what a very hot torch does to copper and I’m coming up with some cool colors on copper. I also like to work with silver. Its all fun and the possibilities are endless.


-- What is your ideal vision for the future for you and your work? I would love to have my work shown in galleries. I would like to have more sales on Etsy. I don’t think I’ll become a rich women selling on Etsy I just want to know that people other than myself, friends and family appreciates my art.


-- Away from work, what do you like to do for fun or to wind down? I play tennis, I ride my bike, I go hiking, I dance; I love to spend time with my family. What can I say? LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL!


-- What are you likely to search for on Etsy? There are so many talented artists on Etsy that I can spend days (if my family would have let me) looking for cards, pottery and knitted goods.


-- Any last words? I’m glad you found me! Thanks for having me on.

If you still want to know about me a little bit more please take a look at my video.

http://vimeo.com/12863461

1 comments:

customdesigns4ubynan said...

hi moon - I see why you like this artisan. I really enjoy her shell-like pieces.

Post a Comment

Please keep it clean, for giveaway entries that offer more than one entry, make sure you post your comment for EACH on of those entries (ie: 1 of 3, 2 of 3 etc).

Related Posts with Thumbnails